April 20, 2008

The World According to Francis Ray

My show with Mrs. Ray last week was phenomenal. We had such a wonderful time. I sent her a few questions to answer for me and her fans all around the world. I hope you enjoy. Don't forget to check out the very short story I asked her to finish. You'll see why she is a master at what she does!

1. How much, if any, has the literary industry changed since your first novel to now?
The literary industry has changed dramatically. Three major changes - the merging of publishing houses, the disappearance of book wholesalers, and the closing of independent book stores - all of which makes is more difficult to sell a book, then once the book is sold the wholesale warehouse might take less copies, and with the closing of book stores your book will not be readily available. With the shaky economy and big chains like Borders in financial trouble it does not bode well for the publishing industry. Although in the past when hard times hit, people purchased more books, but gas wasn't $3.89 a gallon to get to the retail store.


2. Besides writing, what are your other passions?
After my family, I'd have to say that it would be my involvement with The Turning Point Legal Fund. I set up the fund in 2000 with the release of THE TURNING POINT to help women affected by domestic abuse restructure their lives. The main character in THE TURNING POINT (TROUBLE DON'T LAST ALWAYS) is a victim of domestic abuse. In doing the research for the book, the plight of these women touched my heart and showed me how blessed I was. I felt compelled to help.

My other two passions would be reading, and gardening. This afternoon I designed and planted a flower bed with stones, white and pink begonias, and Indian Hawthorne bushes. In another bed I added white, pink and red Dianthus. I have four beds to go.

3. If you had to stop writing today would you be satisfied with the contribution you made to the literary world? What would you miss?
Since I write slower with each book I've often thought of how I would feel if the stories just won't come anymore. I'd have to say that I would be proud of my literary contributions and be thankful for what I had accomplished.

I'd miss most the connection with the readers. Corresponding and talking with them has been wonderful.


4. Who would you love to write a book with, dead or alive, and why?
I've written books with Donna Hill, Rochelle Alers and Beverly Jenkins. I was honored to write with such talented ladies. I think one writer might be Francine Rivers who writes fantastic inspirational romances. Ms. Rivers being such emotions to the page.

5. How would you finish this paragraph?
Taffi grips the steering wheel until her knuckles turn white. She can't believe what she is seeing. Steve and Gloria, together, holding hands like a happy couple, but she knows the truth. She knows they are really...

miserable. It's an act because Steve loves her. He has told her so many times. If only Gloria wasn't so greedy and vindictive she'd give him a divorce he keeps asking for.

It takes all of Taffi's self control not to stop the car and tell Gloria off. What kind of woman keeps a man who doesn't want her? Steven has told her to be patience, but she is tired of sneaking around. Perhaps she should do it anyway. Steven might be angry at first but she knows just how to put a smile on his face. Slowing down, Taffi looks for a empty parking space.

Thanks,
Francis
www.francisray.com
readersoffrancisray@yahoogroups.com
myspace.com/francisray
NOT EVEN IF YOU BEGGED - Jan 22, 2008 - Mainstream
THE WAY YOU LOVE ME - Shane's story - Grayson Friends -September 2008
UNTIL THERE WAS YOU - Book 1 - Reissue - A Grayson Romance - December 2008
NOBODY BUT YOU - Cameron's story - Grayson Friends - April 2009

And for those who missed the show...

0 comments: